Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis (TRRA) was founded by a group of railroads to move freight across the Mississippi River and incorporated in 1889. In 1797, the first river ferry was established in the region by Captain James Piggott, who operated the ferry between the Post of St. Louis and Illinoistown (later East St. Louis). The business was acquired in 1819 by Samuel Wiggins, who had acquired some 900 acres of land along the Illinois banks of the Mississippi directly across from present day St. Louis. The Wiggins Ferry Company not only operated the ferry business for individuals wanting to cross the river, they also developed extensive yards, depots, warehouses, railroad tracks and elevators.
Click on photo to read more about Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis